Hi and welcome! I'm glad you're here and hope you find something to make your visit worthwhile. Come again!

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Coasters & Pizza

Hi, everybody! Are you having as great a winter as we are? Temps were up in the 50's almost every day and no snow!! But for a week now we've been having winter complete with wind and snow. This is a good time to stay in!


Well, I'm all about spending January getting things ready for the year. I'm in the middle of moving my sewing things to a main floor room and having lots of fun trying out ways to organize it all without spending money. That's a challenge, but it's coming along.


Another thing I've been working on this week is getting my ancient sewing machine in better shape for sewing. I've had it since before we were married, so it's like part of the family. I've been thinking about getting a new one, but that seems almost like abandonment. I've cleaned it and the serger both up and out, and my husband is helping me with the bobbin winder. I thought I needed new blades for the serger but the great lady at the sewing store suggested I check the alignment of the lower blade first. (Lower knife should be level with plate.) Would you believe it - it was way low and at a crazy angle. How in the world did that happen?! There was no screw to come loose; it could only be hit with a hammer to straighten! Anyway, she was right. Now instead of chewing the fabric, it cuts it beautifully once again. Thank you, Alice!


By the way, I came across this great way to reheat pizza, and although I haven't tried it yet, I thought it's a good thing to share. It really makes sense, doesn't require heating the oven, and has to beat that rubbery microwave reheated pizza.
http://allrecipes.com/video/432/how-to-reheat-pizza/detail.aspx


 A friend of mine, Sheila, is an amazing stamper. She makes the most beautiful cards! But she showed me how to make some great coasters and this week made several sets to have for hostess gifts for the year. (I need a lot because when we travel to churches every few weeks, we stay in someone's home.) Who can't use more coasters? We have them all over the house. They're so simple and fun to make.


Here's what you need:

     wet paper towels
     4 ceramic tiles, 4" - without shiney surfaces
     4 stamps (They can be pricey, so you can use 1 stamp and make all the coasters match)
     ink pad suitable for ceramic
     spray acrilyc sealer (I like a matte finish)
     something self-sticking for "feet"
First, start with clean, dry tiles.




Lightly tap the stamp on the ink pad - not too hard or there'll be  too much ink. (Practicing on a scratch paper before applying to the tile is a good idea.) Then go ahead and stamp on the tile, putting even pressure over the whole stamp. Easy!

Notice the little dips in my tiles leave missing spots in the stamp, but I think this just adds to the charm. Note: if it's not looking good, you can usually wash it off if you're quick and can stamp it again. Now clean off those stamps thoroughly and put them away. That was fast!










Take the tiles to a safe place to use the spray sealer and apply 3 coats. Mine lets me spray again after 2 minutes, so it doesn't take long at all.

All that's left is to apply the feet because the backs of the tiles can be a little rough for furniture.
<><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><>
I've used cork. . . .
<><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><>
felt pads. . . .

<><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><>
and Bumpons. . . .
and they all work great. So whatever you use will be fine. (Maybe even the soft side of adhesive Velcro?)



Wrap the set with some ribbon, add a tag, and you're done!

No comments:

Post a Comment